thankfully, there are diverse choices of cable car insurance in Thailand from a twelve indemnity companies. This article will guide you through everything you need to know about Thailand cable car insurance for both cars and motorcycles. You ’ ll teach about insurance options, coverage, insurance companies, claiming procedures, and going without policy. You can compare a fortune of car indemnity plans at the like prison term through Mister Prakan web site and buy the most suitable plan for you.
- Get your FREE Thailand Cheat Sheet by entering your email below. The Sheet, based on our experience with living and working in Thailand for 10+ years, shows you how to save time and money and gives you the tools the thrive in Thailand.
- 1 Insurance Options
- 2 Compulsory Third-Party Liability Insurance (CTPL)
- 3 Private Insurance
- 4 Insurance Company
- 5 Motorcycle Insurance
- 6 Claim
- 7 Applying the Insurance
- 8 Going Without Private Insurance
- 9 Final Thoughts
There are two options of car indemnity in Thailand : compulsory Third-Party Liability Insurance and Private Insurance. Compulsory Third-Party Liability Insurance, known as Por Ror Bor, is required for all cars and motorcycles registered in Thailand. It needs to be renewed per annum and provides basic coverage on end and injury caused from road accidents. Because of the insufficient coverage and complicated claiming process on Compulsory Third-Party Liability Insurance, many people consider buying individual insurance coming with extra coverage on the vehicle, deaths, and injuries. With private insurance, you can control car haunt budgets caused by car accidents, which is very likely to happen here, and you can besides get professional help when accidents happens. All you need to do is to call an indemnity representative and they ’ ll come to the view of the accident and softwood with the opposing party, offer wayside aid, and exit claims documents. But if you are here only for traveling, you can check out our article on change of location insurance in Thailand.
Compulsory Third-Party Liability Insurance (CTPL)
compulsory Third-Party Liability Insurance or Por Ror Bor is basic indemnity that all cars are required to get every class under the Road Protection Act. Being the minimum necessity, CTPL covers lone medical expenses with limited coverage when you cause the accident. It is up to 80,000 baht for injury and 300,000 baht for death–if it ’ s not the driver ’ randomness mistake. When the driver is the cause of the accident, the coverage decreases to 30,000 baht for injury and 35,000 baht for death. Por Ror Bor costs around 650 baht a class for a normal car. It won ’ thyroxine break the bank but can not cover full payouts from major accidents or breakdowns. CTPL is renewed annually through Department of Land Transport, car policy companies, or a third gear party example. It is normally purchased at the like time as paying an annual cable car tax. When injuries happen from accidents, you can claim immediately at the hospitals by informing hospital cashiers. otherwise, it can be later reimbursed at the indemnity company with the receipt of the aesculapian expense, a copy of your recommendation, and a copy of the insurance policy. To obtain the maximum coverage, a copy of the report from the policemen is required to prove that you did not cause the accident. A sample of CPTL issued by a private insurance company through an insurance broker
secret car policy provides far better coverage than CTPL. tied the cheapest design comes with coverage of third party property. secret cable car policy in Thailand can be categorized into five types using the numbers 1, 2+,2, 3+ and 3. character 1 insurance is the most expensive type providing the best coverage, covering everything from accidents, larceny, and one-third party property damage. Type 3 indemnity is the cheapest choice but comes with the lowest coverage. It ’ mho common for people to buy cable car policy from brokers in Thailand. Check out Mister Prakan if you want to do the same. You can check and compare private indemnity plans on their web site as well.
- One-party Accidents: Only Type 1 insurance covers accidents that happen without a third party involved. This includes hitting a wall or dog, scratching a structure, crashing into a tree, and so on. However, you may need to pay an excess fee of at least 1,000 baht. The fee differs based on your insurance plan.
- Collision: Type 1, 2+, and 3+ insurance normally comes with collision coverage. It covers the cost of repairing your car as long as it is caused by hitting another car. Pay attention to small details on the collision coverage policy since expensive plans allow you to have your car repaired at the official garage of your car’s brand, while cheaper plans send you to individual garages. If you caused the accident, an excess fee might be required. If the collision damage is beyond repair, you may receive 70%-100% of the insurance limit in return.
- Medical Expenses: All insurance types include medical expenses caused by car accidents. The coverage amount is likely to be similar no matter what insurance types you are using. And it is lower if you cause the accident. Insurance companies require a medical receipt for a reimbursement unless you go to their partner hospital. You can use car insurance, health insurance, and family insurance to cover your medical expenses.
- Theft: You may not be under theft protection coverage if your car is stolen because of your own carelessness including forgetting to lock it, parking it an unsafe place, or embezzling it. You may only receive 70-80% of the insurance limit based on your vehicle’s age.
- Fire/Flood: Similar to theft protection, you can claim from flood damage only when it’s not your fault. If you park a car and that area suddenly becomes flooded, you are under the coverage. On the other hand, if you intentionally drive through flooded areas, insurers may reject your claim. This type of coverage always come with Type 1 insurance and some Type 2 or 2+ insurance only.
- 3rd Party Property Damage: The whole idea of the 3rd Party Property Damage is similar to collision coverage but only covers the car of the opposing party. This is the selling point of Type 3 coverage because you’ll only need to fix your own car from the accident without having to worry on the opposing party.
- 3rd Party Personal Injury: All types of insurance, including Compulsory Third-Party Liability Insurance, or CTPL, comes with 3rd Party Personal Injury coverage as long as it is caused by a car accident. It means that if you get hit by a car while while walking down the street, you can at least get reimbursed from CTPL in addition to asking the driver for compensation.
Below are standard exclusions which every car indemnity company can reject your claims for : not having a driver ’ s license, drink in drive, unauthorized driver, using your car as a taxi or moving fomite, leaving the scene of an accident, and wars. The ejection may be different between each insurance company. Be sure to read finely print cautiously. Advertisement
- Driver’s License: Insurers do not cover drivers if the driver does not have a driver’s license.
- Drunk Driving: According to Thai law, a person who has blood alcohol concentration, or BAC, of more than 50mg is considered drunk. It does not only result in the denial of insurance claims, but there’s also a chance of getting fined and imprisoned.
- Unauthorized Driver: This is different based on the insurance package. Some packages might cover every driver as long as he/she has a license and isn’t drunk, while some only cover a specific person who can drive the car.
- Incorrect Purpose: Some insurance companies might not cover you if you use a car in an unsafe manner. This includes carrying more passengers than the vehicle should carry, using a personal car to transport goods or move, installing NGV or LPG gas systems without giving notification.
- Leaving the Scene of an Accident: If you cause the accident and leave the scene, the insurance company does not cover costs. This is considered a crime in Thailand and will result in court.
- War: Car insurance companies might reject claims caused by war and protest, no matter if you are living in a risk area or not. If the damaged is caused by these events, you are not under coverage.
There are a act of indemnity types you can get for your vehicle or motorcycle. Below is a detail draft of each type.
This is the most expensive and comprehensive examination type of insurance offered in Thailand. It should cover you from all accidents and problems. besides, it ’ s the alone policy type that covers an accident not involving a third base party, such as hitting a wall, hitting a dog, getting a chicken feed, and then on. In some cases you need to pay an excess and in other cases you don ’ t have to pay for it. type 1 policy is normally available to a vehicle that is less than seven years old. however, it is still possible to get Type 1 indemnity for an older car arsenic long as it has a good record and history without major accidents involved.
type 2+ is the moment most expensive cable car policy choice in Thailand. Its coverage is like to Type 1 policy but does not cover accidents where no third gear party was involved. In addition, Type 1 policy tends to send your car for repairs at official garages while type 2+ insurance will be sent to 3rd party independent garages alternatively.
type 2 insurance is like to Type 2+, including price, but doesn ’ t have collision coverage. Because of this, a majority of people prefer character 2+ over Type 2 indemnity. And only a few policy companies are now offering it.
type 3+ insurance comes with necessary road accident protection, collision coverage, and third party property damage. The main difference between 2+ and 3+ is that Type 3+ does not have larceny, fire, flood, and terrorism protection.
This is a basic private insurance and covers merely medical expenses and third-party liability. It is democratic for old or low-valued cars for many Thais.
Each policy software has differences causing the price to vary. For example, if the policy caller sends the car to an official garage for repairs, the indemnity software will cost higher than sending it to an independent garage. Some offer deductibles–often confused with an excess–making the policy plan lower. But you need to pay for the fasten fee when making claims. There are besides no-claim bonuses, pay-per-use insurance, and driver specification choices. Below is a table compare normal coverage and prices for all indemnity types. It should give you a rough mind on how much you ’ ll pay and what should be covered. Please note that coverage varies based on several factors.
|3rd Party Property Damage||O||O||O||O||O||X|
|3rd Party Personal Injury||O||O||O||O||O||O|
|Avg. Annual Price||฿18,000||฿6,500||N/A||฿5,000||฿2,700||฿650|
Excess is a fix sum you agree to pay in order to make a claim. It normally starts at 1,000 baht per time and can be waived if the car is damaged by something that isn ’ t a car, such as hitting a wall, poles, trees, animals, and stones. If damaged by another car, the overindulgence can still be waived if you didn ’ triiodothyronine cause the accident. The guarantee needs to pay an excess when the wrong or scribble occurs without a clear induce or any third gear party international relations and security network ’ triiodothyronine involved, such as a complete piercing a tire while driving, a windshield abruptly braking without reason, parts damaged by animals, and so on. however, each indemnity company has a different policy to waive an surfeit. And even some insurance representatives can give you the wrong answer. Read the fine print in contingent and recheck everything whenever you are uncertain whether the excess can be waived or not.
deductible, on the other hand, is a fix amount you agree to the insurance company whenever you would like to make a claim. It can not be waived, but the entire policy price will be decreased. For example, the cost of Type 1 policy plans at 15,000 baht a year might decrease to only 7,999 baht for the lapp coverage with deductible. If the deductible measure is 3,000 baht, it means that you need to pay extra 3,000 baht whenever you want to make a claim, in addition to an overindulgence fee. Deductibles can significantly reduce the cable car insurance cost and they ’ re desirable for major accidents. But you can ’ t make a claim for little damages or scratches. normally, the deductible sum ranges from 1,000 to 5,000 baht. Similar to an excess, its measure and policy is different between each policy company. note that overindulgence and deductible is normally misused in Thailand, even with insurance representatives. They share the same son in Thai. So cautiously read the fine print.
many insurance companies in Thailand offer no-claim bonuses, giving discounts on refilling rates for those who have not made any claims, or who ’ ve made lone a few modest claims, in that class. This is merely available with some insurance plans, by and large on the Type 1 class policy. On the early hand, the renewal rate will be increased if claims are made respective times within the same class. Official and Individual Garage When choosing car insurance, particularly for Type 1, 2+, and 3+, you will be asked whether you want to have your car repaired at an official garage or person garage. The official garage is the garage from your car ’ s manufacturer. For example, if your car is Toyota, it will be sent to an official Toyota garage for repair. Pros of the official garage are that your car will be repaired by certify cable car mechanics using genuine refilling parts. The garage may replace a new partially alternatively of fixing the old part. This results in the car having no problems after repair.
Read more: Insurance Activates | Ministry of Finance
however, repairing at official garage tends to take a lot of time because of long queues. Garage locations, specially in the countryside provinces, are besides quite restrict, and the indemnity package is more expensive. There are a bunch more individual garages than official garages. They are easier to find, faster, and cheaper. however, you need to carefully pick the garage. It is common to hear stories from people sending their cars to the individual garage resulting in more problems. Some individual garages may use imposter parts and incautiously fix your car causing more problems in the future. It is besides common to hear that paint jobs by individual garages do not match the original car color. There are, of course, individual garages with good standards. But this would require promote research. It is besides different when making a claim on an individual garage who is a partner with the insurance party and who is not. You can find out more in the claim procedure department below. Individual garages normally show their insurance partners in front.
car insurance prices can be decreased by 5 % to 20 % per class when specifying the driver, at a maximum of two persons per car. The percentage of discount is chiefly based on the driver ’ mho historic period. The older the driver the higher the rebate. normally, there ’ s a 5 % dismiss for a driver who ’ sulfur eighteen to twenty-four years old, and a 20 % deduction for drivers who are older than fifty dollar bill. The dismiss is only given on the premium price, not the excess fees.
Pay Per Use
Thaivivat introduced a new pay-per-use policy option. The estimate is similar to a postpaid cell phone box. The vehicle will be under coverage for the come of given hours per period. For exemplar, 144 hours for thirty days, 600 hours for one hundred and eight days, and 960 hours for three hundred and sixty days. The box price is lower than normal indemnity plans, but you are limited to use your car for three to five hours per day on average. When running out of hours, you can top up merely like you ’ d top up your mobile earphone. The main helplessness of pay-per-use insurance is the complexity. The postpaid Thaivivat lotion needs to be turned on before driving to be under coverage, and turned off after that. If driving in an area with a low internet signal, you ’ d have to call the insurance caller notifying which clock time they want to drive.
There are besides cable car insurance add-ons providing extra coverage that may not be included in the indemnity box. This ranges from getting compensated on your belongings getting stolen from your cable car, paying for travel, receiving aesculapian care, paying for impermanent transportation, paying consolation money, or getting towed or loaner cars.
Over twenty companies provide car policy in Thailand. Each has their pros and cons, making it is hard to indicate which one is the best car insurance company out there. From what we gather, people have unlike experiences even with the same policy provider. rather of finding out the best insurance, it is better to choose a creditable company with a plan that is most desirable for you. here are a few things you should consider :
- Reputation: Apply with an insurance company that has been in this industry for a long time. With insurance companies you never heard of before, it is better to check their financial background.
- Staff Knowledge and Service: Since you need to deal with insurance company’s staff in the long run, find out in advance whether they can provide satisfied service or not. You can check this by calling them and explaining your needs. If staff just redirect your call without providing professional service, just ignore them and choose a new company.
- Additional Features: Because of the competitiveness of this industry, insurance companies have been regularly introducing new features and services. This ranges from providing a substitute vehicle or compensation when your car is under repair to discount on loyal customers.
- Nearby Garage: Dealing with a garage that’s not a partner with the insurance company is quite complicated. Therefore, you can talk with a reputable garage near you and ask which insurance company they partner with. This way you will know in advance where to repair if an accident happens.
car indemnity companies in Thailand still have limited english address support. A commodity option for expats in this character is to apply an indemnity with brokers having well english support, such as Mister Prakan and let them deal with the indemnity company rather. The price you pay them for car insurance is relatively the same that you ’ d yield directly to the insurance caller. One of the most celebrated car insurance companies on the local grocery store is Viriyah. Despite being more expensive than other policy, they have the highest come of partner garages. ad other major players in this industry are Bangkok Insurance, Muang Thai, Tokio Marine, and Asia Insurance. These indemnity companies have their own representatives and partner garages all over the state, making road accident happens easier to deal with. however, their packages cost more than others. There are besides smaller car insurances companies include Dhipaya, Deves, and Allianz. These humble companies offer cheaper packages but only have representatives and collaborator garages in major cities. In addition, recently many banks such as Thanachart, SCB, Kasikorn, Krungsri, and TMB have besides launched their own cable car policy. Main targeted customers from these fiscal institutes are those who make a fiscal car loanword with them.
Motorcycle Insurance, on the other hand, has limited options when compared to cable car policy. There are only a handful companies such as Viriyah, Asia Insurance, and Thaivivat offer motorcycle insurance. In addition, entirely three types are available : character 1, 2+, and 3+. We have a separate guide to the motorcycle insurance. You should head there and find out more information about this topic.
As with health policy, life insurance, or the wish, in orderliness to file a claim with your car policy ship’s company you have to follow certain procedures.
Dealing with Road Accidents
When road accidents happens, the first thing you need to do is call your insurance rep, take photos from as many angles as possible, showing your car ’ randomness license plate from both sides, and then wait. You should not move the car unless asked by policemen or if deaths are involved. It is the policy rep ’ s duty to help you find out which party is the cause of the accident–if it is unclear. A bunch of people decide to get cable car policy for this specific reason because they do not want to argue with the other party when a road accident occurs. If either party admits the fault, you can move the car to the side of the road to prevent a traffic fix. however, you however need to wait for the policy rep. After the policy rep arrives at the scene and decides the at-fault party, you will receive a claim form which can be late handed into the insurance company. The only condition that you can move the cable car and leave the picture right away without having to wait the insurance rep is through the knock-for-knock agreement. In this scenario, both parties should be under beginning class indemnity coverage, can agree who ’ s fault it it, and there are no deaths. then, they need to exchange a claim form with all information filled in and state directly which party is at mistake. The claim form can be submitted later to the insurance company. The best way to prove the fault of the opposing party is through having a dash cam. Make certain it is working properly and choose the one that can produce good quality even in low-light situations. Due to the amount of traffic, road accident happens regularly in Bangkok
In case you already have the claim imprint from the insurance rep, you can immediately submit it to the insurance caller ’ randomness partner garage. The phase can besides be obtained at the garage. After submitting, you should receive a claim issue for tracking aim. many insurance companies offer on-line claims. You can add all associate information such as cable car details, accident details, photos, and the at-fault party. then, the organization should issue a claim numeral in which you can subsequently use to contact the indemnity company ’ mho partner garage. But not all garages are beneficial, including those who spouse with policy companies. Before sending your car for repair, you should read reviews first base. And you may need a serve with locals since information is probable to be in Thai. besides, feel free to visit a few garages first and choose the most creditable one. If any garage asks you for a deposit, crack with an indemnity rep first before giving them money. hera is a list of documents that are normally required for claim.
- a copy of car registration
- a copy of the first page of a passport
- a copy of driver license
- a copy of insurance policy
- a copy of the first page of a bank account book, if there’s any compensation
The work of repairing a car at the policy company ’ randomness partner garage is quite polish and aboveboard. After submitting the claim, the partner garage will have everything taken car of and appoint you the date to get your cable car back. You can still repair a car with the garage that is not a spouse with the insurance party, but this requires extra work. The first matter you need to do is to contact the insurance company and necessitate for the budget for repairing your cable car. Each insurance company has different methods to do this. Some may need you to have the car checked with them while some only require a few pictures. besides, some insurers can give you the budget a day after all information is sent, while others may take a workweek. You besides need to pay the compensate cost yourself first, and the reimbursement will be sent around a calendar month late. If the actual cost is higher than the insurance company ’ second budget, you need to pay it yourself. besides, some garages might charge an extra process fee for 1,000 baht. It is counted as their extra function and monetary value to deal with the insurance ship’s company.
Applying the Insurance
In Thailand, people tend to purchase cable car policy from policy brokers. The price you get from them are the same as buy from insurance companies directly. Because of the competitiveness in this diligence, some brokers provide extra benefits to their customer. The common benefits include helping with the bribe process to dealing with claims. Some even offer a lender cable car when you car is under maintenance. To apply the car indemnity, you need :
- a copy of the car’s registration
- a copy of the first page of your passport
- a copy of your driver’s license
- a copy of your previous insurance policy might be required
For Type 1 insurance, pictures of your car including the front, back, left, and right are required. Some policy companies might even send their agents to inspect your car directly. It is largely a individual basis. In the past, brokers were recommended by give voice of talk and friends. But everything now is moving on-line. There are diverse insurance broke websites providing both policy comparison services and allowing you to buy the insurance at the same meter. The one we recommend is Mister Prakan. The web site is functional, easy to use, and has english speaking customer patronize with an on-line imprint to find out the cheapest and most suitable plan based on your needs. alike services to Mister Prakan is Roojai and gobear.
Going Without Private Insurance
Some people decide not to buy a car insurance for respective reasons. Type 1 policy does not accept any car that is older than seven years, unless it is their existing customer with good records. Type 2+ and 3+ might be expensive for a car that is rarely used. Some even do not purchase Type 3 policy since they strongly believe in their drive skills. Buying individual insurance is wholly optional. however, flush the cheapest box has hidden cons providing you peace of heed while driving as follows :
- Helping with Argument: When a car accident happens, it’s common case in which drivers–and maybe motorcycle taxis around–blame one another trying to find the guilty side so they won’t have to pay for the damage caused by an accident. With car insurance, insurance reps will argue for you and try to win the conversation because they don’t want to lose money as well.
- Prevent Overcharged Repair Price: Without car insurance, the third party may take this opportunity to overcharge the cost of repairing a vehicle. The price can double from 50,000 baht to 100,000 baht. Worse, you may even need to go to court if you disagree to pay.
- Road Assistant: Since a car insurance rep needs to regularly deal with road accidents, they have contact details in hand and help you solve the situation from calling a towing truck, talking to traffic police, and dealing with opposing parties.
Please bear in mind that car accidents happen regularly, specially since Thailand has the second bad accident rate in the universe. Having car indemnity can at least see you will not lose a bunch of money from a road accident, while being able to control the budget of your vehicle ’ south repair expenses.
Read more: Insurance Activates | Ministry of Finance
Please eminence that we are not an indemnity representative or a broke. All information provided here is based on heavy research and fact checking with brokers. however, mistakes and misunderstandings may happen. car insurance companies have different policies and regularly update them. Please use this article as a reference and recheck all information with an policy rep, broke, or a master provider again on your own earlier deciding to buy your own car policy. What is your experience with car policy in Thailand ? What plan did you decide to buy ? Do you have any other tips and tricks on the car insurance in Thailand ? Have you been in a car accident before ? Please contribution your thoughts with us in the comments !