If you ’ ve ever taken partially in the daily car race in and out of Brussels, then you ’ ll understand the importance of good car insurance in Belgium. But what are your options when it comes to getting yourself and your car covered ?
Our guide takes a count at the follow issues :
- 1 Car insurance in Belgium
- 2 Types of car insurance in Belgium
- 3 Additional forms of car insurance in Belgium
- 4 Car insurance bonuses and penalties in Belgium
- 5 Car insurance companies in Belgium
- 6 How to choose car insurance in Belgium
- 7 Applying for car insurance in Belgium
- 8 How to make a car insurance claim in Belgium
- 9 Cancelling a contract or changing provider
- 10 Making a complaint about a car insurance company in Belgium
- 11 Roadside assistance in Belgium
- 12 Useful resources
Need coverage before you get behind the roulette wheel in Belgium ? Speak to the experts at AXA. Their car indemnity policies can be tailored to the needs of you and your vehicle, whether you own an urban runaround or a 4X4 in the beautiful belgian countryside. Give yourself peace of take care on the roads and get a quotation mark for AXA car policy today.
Reading: Car insurance in Belgium
Get a quote today
Car insurance in Belgium
car policy in Belgium is mandate to at least third-party liability coverage. It is the car preferably than the driver that is insured, which means that anyone with a valid drive license can drive your car if it is insured. Because it is the vehicle that is insured, drivers have to take out extra policies if they own more than one vehicle. however, many insurers offer deals on multiple vehicle coverage .
Vehicle coverage is big occupation in Belgium. Auto policy is the largest non-life indemnity grocery store in the country, with premiums totaling €3.7 billion in 2016. This outstrips property indemnity at €2.8 billion and health policy at €1.6 billion. As you might expect, this means you have enough of options when taking out a policy. Car insurance providers in Belgium include :
If you ’ re confused by the choice, brokers like Hopala compare premiums from Belgium ’ s biggest insurers and help you get the right deal for you .
The policy market in Belgium is regulated by the Financial Services and Markets Authority, and insurers are much represented by their industry body, Assuralia .
Can I use my car insurance in Belgium?
If you move to Belgium from another EU state, you can use your existing car indemnity policy adenine farseeing as it equates to at least third-party coverage. You typically need to register your car with the belgian authorities unless you are staying in the nation temporarily .
Drivers from outside of the EU/EFTA normally need to purchase belgian car policy. You may be nontaxable if you have bought an gain policy in your home area that allows you to drive abroad, but you should check this in gain of your move .
Types of car insurance in Belgium
There are three independent types of car policy in Belgium .
Third-party liability (Responsabilité Civile/Wettelijke Aansprakelijkheidsverzekering)
This is the minimal degree of car policy required by belgian jurisprudence. It covers death, bodily injury, or physical damage that you cause to another person in an incident where you are at fault. It besides covers the price of damage caused to other vehicles .
Third-party insurance doesn ’ thyroxine cover any of your own costs, whether relating to yourself or your vehicle. It ’ s a sensible policy to choose if you drive an cheap car or preceptor ’ metric ton drive very frequently .
Part comprehensive (Mini Omnium/Mini Casco)
This policy offers third-party coverage plus it covers damage to your own car caused by fire, natural disasters, storm damage, and collisions with animals on the road. It besides covers the larceny of your vehicle .
separate comprehensive doesn ’ thyroxine cover costs if you have an accident that is your fault. Most policies besides exclude damage due to vandalism .
Fully comprehensive (Maxi Omnium/Maxi Casco)
amply comprehensive examination policies in Belgium cover all general costs even when the driver of the cover car is at fault. however, there are common exclusions such as intentional damage. Some policies besides exclude things such as legal costs and dislocation aid which may need to be purchased as add-ons. Check for any exclusions before making your insurance buy .
in full comprehensive indemnity is a good option if you have a newfangled or expensive car, where the monetary value of replacing the car yourself in the consequence of an incident would be excessively great .
Costs and excess
cable car indemnity in Belgium can be costly and is subject to value-added tax ( TVA/BTW ). fully comprehensive examination is naturally the most expensive policy type, with third-party indebtedness the cheapest. The demand cost of your insurance policy will be based on factors such as :
- the value and age of the vehicle;
- number of listed drivers of the vehicle;
- profile of the driver(s) – driving history, age, health, etc.;
- how much driving is done, with some insurers offering discounts on vehicles that clock up below a certain number of annual kilometers
You can besides lower your car indemnity costs by increasing your excess or deductible. This is the total that you have to pay for any call you make. All insurers will have a compulsory excess but you can choose to increase this in regulate to reduce your monthly or annual agio .
Find out how much you will pay in belgian car insurance using this calculation joyride .
Read more: Insurance Activates | Ministry of Finance
Additional forms of car insurance in Belgium
You can purchase supplementary policy on top of your general policy to cover areas that might be excluded. These can include :
- Legal insurance – covers legal costs if you are in an incident that ends up in the courts.
- Driver injury insurance – this is a useful add-on to third party insurance as it covers your own medical expenses resulting from an accident.
- Roadside assistance – covers costs incurred if you breakdown while on a journey, such as vehicle towing and replacement transport costs.
- No claims protection – insures against your premium rising if you are in an accident that is your fault. You may have to have a good driving record to take this out, for example, no insurance claims in the previous three years.
Car insurance bonuses and penalties in Belgium
Like indemnity in other european countries, a no-claims bonus system is the norm. Some belgian policy companies now call this a no-claims joker scheme with rewards attached for periods without any claims. It operates much the same as standard no-claims bonus schemes .
The bonus or reinforce you are entitled to for no-claims periods varies between insurers. typically, you ’ ll get around a 10 % dismiss after one year and this then rises every year improving to a maximum period ( normally 10–15 years ) .
If you have a former no-claim criminal record in another country, you can bring it with you to roll it over onto your newfangled policy. not all insurers will recognize the claim-free repel experience you have accumulated abroad, but those that do offer up a deduction for a dependable drive criminal record .
Insurers are besides spare to apply penalties to drivers with a poor drive record. Your premiums are likely to rise if you :
- have been involved in any incidents which were your fault;
- have been found guilty of offenses such as speeding or drunk driving;
- are a young or inexperienced driver
Car insurance companies in Belgium
If you ’ rhenium looking for cable car policy in Belgium, there are enough of options so it pays to shop around. You can either do this yourself, or you can use a comparison web site. car insurers in Belgium include the adopt :
If you ’ rhenium diffident of which provider to choose, you might want to consider using a comparison service. insurance brokers like Hopala compare the premiums on offer with Belgium ’ s biggest insurers and ensure you get the right consider for you .
How to choose car insurance in Belgium
When choosing car insurance in Belgium, it ’ s important to consider a variety of factors early than just opting for the cheapest. You should give think to :
- Excess/deductible – what is the mandatory amount you will have to pay towards a claim and what options do you have to increase it?
- Coverage and exclusions – look through the fine print to see exactly what is and isn’t eligible for coverage. Does it meet your requirements? What are the options and costs for add-ons?
- Company reputation – check online reviews, annual industry ratings and customer feedback so see if the real world experience matches up to the company advertisements.
- Claims process – how easy is it to make a claim and how quickly will you get reimbursed?
- Rewards and bonuses – what does the company offer in terms of no-claims? Can you use no-claims periods from other insurers or countries?
- Ethical performance – how well does the company perform in areas such as environmental sustainability, corporate social responsibility (CSR) and worker rights? You can compare insurers using ratings compiled by assessors such as Ethical Consumer.
Applying for car insurance in Belgium
Applying for car insurance in Belgium is pretty straightforward. Most of the bigger companies allow you to apply online so you can do it in a matter of minutes. You will normally get a decisiveness within a couple of days .
The exact application action varies according to the insurance company. You will typically need to provide :
- Valid ID to prove that you are at least 18 years old
- Proof of Belgian address such as a recent utility bill
- Vehicle registration details to prove that your car is registered in Belgium
once you have taken out a policy, the party will issue you with a green Card ( european motive insurance security ) and an accident report phase. You should keep these in your car at all times since the police can demand to see them .
How to make a car insurance claim in Belgium
If you need to make a cable car insurance claim in Belgium, you should do the pursue :
- Fill out your accident report form if involved in an accident.
- Make sure you take down the names, addresses, car registration details and Green Card details of all other parties involved in the event of an accident.
- Also get the names and addresses of any witnesses in the event of an accident.
- Submit your insurance claim to your insurer. Typically, this is done over the phone but some companies may allow e-mail or online submissions.
- If the police were called as a result of an accident, ask for a copy of the police report. You should send a copy of this and the accident report form to your insurer to support your claim.
- Take pictures of any damage to your vehicle to support your claim.
You should submit your title within one workweek of the incident. Following this, your insurance company will provide you with a claim numeral and details of your claim coach .
Cancelling a contract or changing provider
If you want to cancel a car policy policy in Belgium, you typically need to give at least three months ’ notice. Most belgian insurers have their own cancelations work which normally involves submitting a cancelation letter within the cancelation period. Companies often have letter templates or instructions for what to include on their web site .
You can sometimes ask for a shorter cancelation time period which needs to be agreed upon with your insurance company upfront. This is normally granted for reasons such as if you work in Belgium temporarily and may need to move at short circuit notice .
You are free to change policy providers in Belgium at any time a long as you work through the notice period with your existing insurance company. Some companies offer to deal with all of the administration involved with switching to them barren of charge, as a way of attracting new customers .
Making a complaint about a car insurance company in Belgium
If you wish to complain about an insurance company in Belgium, you should follow these steps :
Read more: Mexico Auto Insurance
- Step one – try to resolve the dispute with your insurer first. All companies should have a complaints department which should detail the procedures to follow.
- Step two – if you are not happy with the outcome, you can take the complaint to the Insurance Ombudsman who will review your dispute. You will need to submit a complaint in writing that describes your problem and contains all the necessary details of your complaint to the insurance company (e.g., file reference number).
- Step three – if you are still dissatisfied, you can take the matter to court However, this can be costly so you should be sure to have a strong case before doing this.
Roadside assistance in Belgium
many belgian car insurance companies offer wayside aid or breakdown aid coverage, either as a standalone policy or as separate of fully comprehensive insurance .
Another option is to join a membership club. In Belgium, organizations such as VAB and the Royal Automobile Club of Belgium ( RACB ) offer wayside aid to members across the country, with oversea coverage available, excessively .
There are respective different cost packages available, ranging from basic breakdown aid to advanced packages which include global aesculapian aid, repair costs, and refilling transportation costs .
- Financial Services and Markets Authority (FSMA) – regulates the Belgian insurance sector
- Insurance Ombudsman – arbitrates on complaints made against insurance companies in Belgium
- Hopala – insurance comparison site
- VAB – Belgian automobile association