If you ’ ra think of driving in Spain, it ’ second crucial you stay on the right side of the local anesthetic laws. car insurance is a legal necessity in Spain, so you won ’ t want to leave home without having the justly cover .
To help you understand the spanish car insurance grocery store, this scout examines the key issues, including :
- 1 Introduction to car insurance in Spain
- 2 Types of car insurance in Spain
- 3 Additional forms of car insurance in Spain
- 4 Car insurance bonuses and penalties in Spain
- 5 Car insurance companies in Spain
- 6 How to choose Spanish car insurance
- 7 Applying for car insurance in Spain
- 8 Making a claim with a Spanish car insurer
- 9 Canceling a contract or changing provider
- 10 Making a complaint about a Spanish car insurance company
- 11 Roadside assistance in Spain
- 12 Useful resources
Getting behind the wheel in Spain ? Speak to the indemnity experts at Linea Directa and get yourself covered today. Whether you drive a city-center runaround or you ‘re planning a road trip across the beautiful spanish countryside, choose the correct agio for you and your driving needs with Linea Directa today.
Reading: Car insurance in Spain
Get a quote today
Introduction to car insurance in Spain
You need to insure all vehicles in Spain to at least third party liability flat. This includes cars, trucks, RVs, motorbikes, and scooters. however, bicycles don ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate want policy. Anyone caught driving without indemnity by spanish police can be fined up to €3,000 .
To get car policy in Spain, you will need to register the vehicle. You can drive alien vehicles for a specify period ( 3-6 months ) without spanish registration but will need to have at least third party policy. All vehicles need insurance, even those that are parked or inactive, although insurers will normally merely cover roadworthy vehicles .
As in many countries, insurance is applied to the vehicle rather than the driver. You can add drivers to the policy, although those aged under 25 or with a poor driving record may affect premiums. Policies can much be transferred to another vehicle in the event of a sale, although premiums may change .
car policy is one of the biggest spanish insurance markets, accounting for 31.5 % of non-life indemnity in 2017. The Directorate-General for Insurance and Pension Funds ( Direccion General de Seguros y Fondos de Pensiones – DGSFP ) regulates insurance companies in Spain .
See more information in these guides on indemnity in Spain, driving in Spain, and spanish drive licenses .
Can you use car insurance from another country in Spain?
If you move to Spain from another EU country, you can continue to use your existing policy policy. however, you will need to check with your insurance company that you have external coverage .
Citizens from non-EU countries may be able to use insurance from their home area for a limited period ( 3-6 months ), but if you are relocating to Spain from a non-EU nation then you will need to register your car and buy car indemnity in Spain once this period ends .
Types of car insurance in Spain
The three main types of car policy in Spain are :
Third-party liability (responsabilidad civil obligatoria or seguro obligatorio)
This typically covers all wrong and costs incurred by third gear parties including vehicle damage, personal injuries, and legal costs. however, a standard policy won ’ triiodothyronine breed any of your own costs .
You can tailor third-party indemnity to include extras such as wayside aid, indeed be mindful of coverage and exclusions when purchasing this type of policy. It ’ s a worthwhile option if you have an older or cheap car, or if you don ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate drive often .
Third-party fire and theft (responsabilidad civil obligatoria, incendio y robo)
This covers standard third-party claims plus will besides cover a sealed come of damage to your own vehicle. This typically includes fire damage, storm wrong, natural disasters, and accidents, plus larceny and vandalism .
As with standard third-party liability policies, you can tailor this policy to meet your requirements .
Comprehensive (todo riesgo)
This type of policy covers all costs incurred by both yourself and one-third parties, even if the accident was your mistake. Be mindful, though, that companies normally won ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate wage out if you are in irreverence of the law ( for example, driving while toast ) .
comprehensive indemnity is sensible if you have an expensive car that will cost a lot to repair, if you drive every day or if there are finical risks associated with your drive. however, don ’ thyroxine forget that your premiums will rise in production line with increase risks .
Car insurance costs
car indemnity premiums in Spain averaged at just over €350 per year in 2016, barely above the EU modal. Premiums have come down from an average of over €450 in 2005. Third-party coverage can be a brassy as €150 but will normally be around €250–300. Fully comprehensive policies are probably to be €400 a year or more .
As with most countries, spanish premiums are determined by factors including vehicle value and old age, driver profile and senesce, and any extra risks associated with the policy. In Spain, your place of residence is besides authoritative, with higher premiums associated with busier cities such as Madrid and Barcelona .
You can reduce your annual premiums by voluntarily increasing your overindulgence or deductible, which is the come you have to pay towards each claim. Most policies have a compulsory excess come, although comprehensive packages can normally be taken out without any excess. These will be more expensive than standard comprehensive policies. Some insurers besides offer temp ( 3–6 months ) policies at a higher monthly rate .
Additional forms of car insurance in Spain
aside from standard third-party and comprehensive policies, most companies besides offer extra coverage. here are some of the most coarse types :
- Breakdown assistance – covers towing and repair costs, along with replacement transport costs;
- No-claims protection – allow you to protect your no-claims bonus if you make a claim;
- Legal expenses insurance – covers legal fees in the event of a court case arising from an accident;
- Personal accident insurance – covers medical costs and can provide compensation in the event of death or disability.
Car insurance bonuses and penalties in Spain
Spain operates the no-claims bonus system where drivers can reduce their premiums year-on-year if they don ’ thyroxine file any claims. Each company will have its own no-claims agenda. typically, you will earn a 5 % deduction for each no-claim year. The maximal dismiss is about 65 %.
Read more: Insurance Activates | Ministry of Finance
You can carry over no-claims periods from other insurers when switching providers if you are able to provide validation of no claims history. spanish insurers normally recognize no-claims periods earned in other EU countries. They may besides acknowledge adept driving records from certain non-EU countries, but this varies from insurance company to insurer .
While no-claims periods earn discounts, premiums are likely to increase if you have a history of accidents. Expect to pay through the nose if you :
- have been involved in any incidents that were your fault;
- have any points on your license for things such as speeding or drink-driving;
- are a young or inexperienced driver. Drivers aged under 25 in Spain usually have to pay higher premiums.
Car insurance companies in Spain
Providers of spanish car insurance admit :
- Banco de Sabadell
- Caser Seguros
- Catalana Occidente
- Linea Directa
- Mapfre Seguros
- Peyalo Seguros
You can find out more data on insurance companies in Spain by searching our spanish clientele directory. Compare policies for car policy in Spain using the Acierto comparison tool .
How to choose Spanish car insurance
It ’ s a adept theme to shop around when looking for car insurance in Spain, taking into retainer a wide range of factors quite than just automatically choosing the cheap policy. other factors you might want to consider are :
- No-claims bonus – what discounts does the company offer and can you transfer no-claims periods from abroad?;
- Policy coverage – third party and comprehensive coverage can vary from company to company. What is included and how much does it cost to add on what you might need?;
- Excess/deductible options – is there a mandatory excess and what are the options for increasing it voluntarily?;
- Company reputation – what are customers and reviewers saying about this company and its practices?;
- Claims process – how straightforward is it and how quickly will you get reimbursed when making a claim?;
- Roadside assistance – what level of coverage does the company offer and will this cost extra?
Applying for car insurance in Spain
Each car insurance company will have its own applications march. In ordering to simplify the procedure, most companies now allow customers to apply on-line. A few smaller companies may ask you to apply over the telephone or by electronic mail .
Most insurers will ask for the pursue as a minimal requirement :
- Spanish driving license or license that can be used in Spain
- NIE number
- Spanish address of policyholder
- Spanish bank account details
once the insurance party processes your application, you should receive your indemnity certificate, EU accident argument form, and green poster for use if you use your spanish car insurance oversea. It is no longer a legal prerequisite to carry your car policy documents in your vehicle, although it ’ second worth having a copy to hired hand just in case you need to show proof of policy at any clock time .
Making a claim with a Spanish car insurer
Companies will have their own claims process which they should intelligibly explain to you when you take out an policy policy. In general, you will be expected to do the comply as a part of making any claim :
- complete your EU accident report form (declaración de siniestro de automóvil) which should be signed by both parties;
- obtain a copy of the police report form, if you are involved in an incident where the police are called;
- get the contact details of the other party along with any witnesses to the accident;
- take pictures of the damage if possible.
If you have comprehensive policy and are making a claim for wrong to your own car, your indemnity company will normally assess the damage before paying out for repairs. spanish companies normally only pay out a percentage of the vehicle value if it is written off .
You will normally have a adjust time period in which you have to file a claim. This is normally within 2-5 days of the accident. Thefts should be reported both to the police and your insurance company immediately. indemnity companies will wait 30 days before paying out in the event of car larceny .
Canceling a contract or changing provider
cable car indemnity policies in Spain automatically renew after the contract period ends. therefore, you will need to inform your provider if you wish to cancel or switch to another ship’s company .
Companies all have their own cancellation policies, terms, and conditions. You can normally cancel mid-contract with two months ’ notice, however, you probably won ’ triiodothyronine be refunded for any amounts paid upfront. As spanish premiums are normally collectible in six-month or annually amounts, be careful that you don ’ t lose out .
You can normally cancel without penalties for the comply reasons :
- your insurer increases your premiums or alters the terms of your contract;
- the insured vehicle is written off or stolen
Your indemnity company is legally entitled to refuse to renew the contract if they give you 15 days ’ poster when it ’ s due to end .
typically, you will have to write a letter or e-mail to your policy company informing them of your intention to cancel along with reasons for doing so. Some companies now allow customers to cancel on-line .
Making a complaint about a Spanish car insurance company
If you want to complain about a spanish cable car policy company, you should follow these steps :
- Step one – file a complaint in writing with the Ombudsman or Customer Service Department of your insurance company. Your insurer should provide you with details of its Ombudsman. If not, you can find them through the DGSFP website.
- Step two – if you’re not happy with the response or you don’t receive a response within two months, you can take the complaint to the DGSFP. They will assess the complaint after contacting the insurer and issue a report stating whether they feel the company has complied with the law;
- Step three – if you are still not happy, you can go to court. You are also entitled to go to court prior to filing a complaint with the DGSFP. However, bear in mind that you will be responsible for court costs.
Roadside assistance in Spain
many indemnity companies in Spain offer breakdown aid as an optional extra. Some comprehensive policies all include this as standard.
You can besides choose to join a membership club such as the spanish Royal Automobile Club ( RACE ). abroad organizations such as the RAC besides provide breakdown overlay in Spain .
If you break down on the spanish roads, you should try and move your vehicle to the nearest dependable place ( e.g. a road pull-off ) and contact your coverage provider. If you don ’ t have coverage, RACE can help you but you ’ ll have to pay for the service .
Breakdown aid normally covers the monetary value of towing, alternative fare for the car driver and passengers, and emergency repair costs. RACE membership costs around €16.50 per month which includes wayside cover in early countries .