- 1 Sanitation Department
- 1.1 2. Holiday Pickup Schedule for 2022:
- 1.2 3. Garbage and Household Rubbish Pickup:
- 1.3 4. Disposing of Paint:
- 1.4 5. Recycling with totes:
- 1.5 6. Electronic Recycling:
- 1.6 7. Hazardous Waste:
- 1.7 8. Medical Waste:
- 1.8 9. Yard Waste:
- 1.9 Additional Yard Waste and Highway Department Information:
SCROLL DOWN – General Rules and Regulations for:
- Garbage and Recycling Totes
- Holiday Pickup Schedule
- General Rules for Garbage Pickup
- Disposal of Paint
- Recycling with Totes
- Electronic Recycling
- Hazardous Waste
- Medical Waste
- Yard Waste
1. GARBAGE AND RECYCLING TOTES:
BLUE LID = Garbage
GREEN LID = Recycling
Basic Sanitation Guidelines for RUBBISH, ELECTRONICS, and DO IT YOURSELF projects still apply:
Visit our website for additional information at
1. Excess trash may be bagged, boxed, or bundled (not to exceed 50 lbs.) with all nails bent over or removed for the safety of our employees.
ABSOLUTELY NO CONTRACTORS, CONTRACTOR VEHICLES, OR DEBRIS GENERATED BY A CONTRACTOR WILL BE ALLOWED.
2. Any regular garbage can or old recycling bin placed at the curbside with or without garbage
will be taken with the trash. The only acceptable use for either will be for yard waste.
When placing totes at the curbside, please make sure your totes are:
1. At least 4 feet from parked cars, trees, mailboxes, utility poles, etc.
2. Placed with ample distance between the BLUE LID and GREEN LID totes.
3. Placed on a clear/level space (not on top of a snow bank)
Purchase Additional Totes:
TOWN CLERK’S OFFICE, 1250 Union Road, Monday – Friday, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm for the following fees:
95-Gallon Garbage Tote $80.00 each 65-Gallon Recycling Tote $70.00 each
**Sanitation Department will deliver tote when clerk’s office notifies us of purchase.
Recycling Program :
MODERN RECYCLING is our ecycling disposal service. For recycling questions or missed collection, please contact their Customer Service at 1 (800) 330-7107.
Visit our website for an improved list of acceptable recyclables.
2. Holiday Pickup Schedule for 2022:
January 1, New Year’s: Regular Schedule
January 17, Martin Luther King Birthday: Regular Schedule
February 21, President’s Birthday: Regular Schedule
April 15, Good Friday: Regular Schedule
May 30, Memorial Day: Garbage and Recycling will be ONE DAY DELAYED all week
July 4, Indep. Day: Garbage and Recycling will be ONE DAY DELAYED all week
September 5, Labor Day: Garbage and Recycling will be ONE DAY DELAYED all week
October 10, Columbus Birthday: Regular Schedule
November 8, Election Birthday: Regular Schedule
November 11, Veteran’s Day: Regular Schedule
Thanksgiving: Garbage and Recycling will be ONE DAY DELAYED for November 24 & 25 ONLY
December 25, Christmas: Regular Schedule
NOTE: Your pickup will be one day later if your regular pick-up day is on or follows one of the above holidays. (On those weeks, Saturday is used as a makeup day).
3. Garbage and Household Rubbish Pickup:
NOTE: There is a 12 hour ordinance in West Seneca which prohibits residents from placing their garbage/debris/recycling to the curbside more than 12 hours in advance of their regular scheduled pick-up. Residents should arrange to have their totes at the curbside the night before or before 7:00 AM garbage day.
*All garbage and recycling MUST be secure from weather and/or animals. You can help keep our town clean and beautiful by following these simple rules:
As of MARCH 3, 2014: “Totes Only” rule applies. Any regular garbage can or old recycling bin placed at the curside with or without garbage, will be taken with the trash. ALL TRASH MUST FIT IN THE TOTE WITH LID CLOSED, OR IT WILL NOT BE PICKED UP.
**THE SANITATION DEPARTMENT WILL NOT COLLECT ANY DEBRIS GENERATED BY CONTRACTORS:
Building and remodeling contractors must dispose of their own debris and scrap: Lumber and material from building demolition cannot be handled by our LIMITED STAFF & EQUIPMENT. The owner should provide resident with dumpter service or transport this debris to a private dump or Land Fill Co.
“Do-It-Yourself”: Excess project debris that does not fit in tote, may be bagged, boxed or bundled (not to exceed 50 lbs.) with all nails bent over or removed for the safety of our employees. EXCESS TRASH DROP OFF AT THE HIGHWAY DEPARTMENT IS SUSPENDED. RED LID totes are available by request (when available) for SMALL DIY projects. The Sanitation Department will deliver/pickup the totes at curbside. LIMIT: 2 WEEKS
Carpeting/Pads: Must fit in tote or cut in 6 ft lengths, rolled and tied.
Concrete/Stones/Brick: Cannot be pick up at curbside. Residents may take clean concrete and stone (NO DIRT or RED BRICK) to Ebenezer Yard Materials, 1655 Union Road, (716) 796-7318 for recycling (Charge may apply). *Please check in at office located at the white scale house at rear of complex.
Rubbish/Large Items: **Residents do not need to call ahead for curbside pick-up** A separate truck collects large items each week on your regular garbage day. Be sure your large items are at curbside the night before, or before 7:00 am garbage day for pick-up.
Tires: Will not be picked up at curbside. However, you may bring them to the Highway Department, 39 South Avenue, Monday – Friday, 7:00 am – 3:30 pm. at a $2.00 fee per regular without a rim, $3.00 per regular with rim, and $5.00 per larger tires.
Car parts and heavy metals: Cannot be picked up at the curbside as could easily jam or break our packing machinery. We refer you to junk yard disposal.
Waste Oil and Anti-freeze: Will not be picked up at curbside. We refer you to full service auto repair stations, or retail stores that sell oil.
Propane Tanks: Will not be picked up at curbside. However, you may bring them to the Highway Department, 39 South Avenue, Monday – Friday, 7:00 am – 3:00 pm at a $2.00 per tank fee. (Mini tanks are free of charge)
4. Disposing of Paint:
The West Seneca Highway Dept. does NOT accept paint at 39 South Avenue. The proper way to dispose of paint is as follows:
- Latex based paint: Open cans and stir in kitty litter, speedy dry or sawdust.Periodic additional stirring will help to speed up the drying process. When paint is completely dry, put the cans (lids off) at curbside with your garbage on your regular garbage day for pickup.
- Oil based paint: Should be brought to the Erie County Hazardous Waste drop off site as listed on the Erie County Website: http://www2.erie.gov/environment/index.php?q=waste-management-and-recycling or by calling the Erie County Hazardous Waste Hotline at (716) 858-6800.
5. Recycling with totes:
For recycling questions or missed collection, please contact MODERN Recycling Customer Service at 1(800) 330-7107.
NEW Bi-Weekly Recycling information:
2022 Recycling & Waste Collection
Modern Recycling Guidelines
West Seneca Maps
6. Electronic Recycling:
TOWN RESIDENTS with Proof of Residency may bring electronics to the Highway Department during Regular Business Hours Only. ILLEGAL DUMPING IS PROHIBITED! Premise is monitored/recorded; anyone observed dumping will be prosecuted.
Electronics are accepted at:
Highway Department, 39 South Avenue
Monday – Friday 7:00 am – 3:00 pm
There is a $5.00 (UP TO 27″) or $10.00 (28″ & LARGER) charge for EACH: CRT (tube) TV and Older Computer Monitor.
*All other Electroincs and Computer Components are FREE of CHARGE.
7. Hazardous Waste:
The West Seneca Highway Department does NOT collect Hazardous Waste at the curbside, and no longer accepts Motor Oil, Gasoline, or Anti-freeze at the Highway Department, 39 South Avenue.
(For local proper disposal you may contact any auto parts store, retail business that sells motor oil, or full service auto garage.)
Hazardous Waste may be brought to an Erie County Drop-off Site free of charge. (see flyer below)
You may bring the following to Erie County HW for proper disposal:
1. Pesticides, Fertilizers, Pool & Household Chemicals/Cleaners (limit 2gal. / 20 lbs.)
2. Oil Based Paints, Spray Cans (limit 10 gallons) – No Latex
3. Thinners, Stripper and Solvents (limit 2 gal.)
4. Mercury Thermometers and Thermostats
5. Propane Tanks and Cylinders (full or empty)
NO LATEX PAINT, TIRES, COMPUTERS, PHARMACEUTICAL, COMMERICAL/INDUSTRIAL WASTE will be accepted.
You may also visit the Erie County Website for additional information at: http://www2.erie.gov/environment/index.php?q=waste-management-and-recycling
Click to goto www.erie.gov/recycling
Your browser doesn’t support the HTML5 video tag.
8. Medical Waste:
Hypodermic Needles: are accepted for proper disposal from Town Residents at: Highway Department, 39 South Avenue
Monday – Friday, 7:00 am – 3:30 pm
Unused Prescriptions: are NOT accepted at the Highway Department. For proper disposal, residents should:
- Check local publications and websites for occasional drop-off sites.
- Refer to the Erie County Website: https://www2.erie.gov/recycling/index.php?q=pharmaceuticals
Sponsored by Erie County Department of Health: http://www2.erie.gov/health/sites/www2.erie.gov.health/files/uploads/pdfs/ESAPSites.pdf
Sponsored by the National Prescription Drug Drop Off: www.NationalPrescriptionDrugDropOff.com
9. Yard Waste:
Yard wastes make up approximately 40% of our solid waste. Disposal costs are high and increase annually. It is highly recommended that residents try backyard composting as an alternative to disposal of yard waste. You may also want to consider mowing your lawn and leaving the grass. Recycling grass is good for your lawn. Grass clippings decompose quickly and return a perfect balance of nutrients to the soil and help the lawn resist drought.
Proper Disposal Procedure:
Yard waste is collected for our community composting site on 500 Mineral Springs Road every week during the period starting the 1st week in May and to the 1st week in December. Residents should arrange to have their yard waste at the curbside the night before or before 7:00 am regular garbage day in:
- Paper lawn and leaf bags: Available for purchase at Tops, Wegmans, Home Depot, Lowes, most hardware stores, and at the Highway Department 5 bags for $3.00. DO NOT USE plastic bags for yard waste. They will not be picked up!
- Open reusable containers: Examples: old garbage can without lid, bushel basket, plastic container. Containers should not weigh over 50 pounds, and we ask that you do not place rocks, metal or household garbage in with your yard waste.
- For quicker service: Residents may bring their yard waste to the Compost Site, 500 Mineral Springs, Monday – Friday 7:30 am – 2:30 pm.
Additional Yard Waste and Highway Department Information:
Visit the HIGHWAY DEPARTMENT PAGE for the following information:
- Town Tree Maintenance
- Replacement Trees
- Street Light Outages
- Winter Policies Clarified
- Compost Site
- Branches and Bushes (without roots)
- Branches over 6″ in diameter Hedges
- Large tree limbs
- Bushes (with roots)
- Leaf Pickup Map