Judkins Coupe
Coachwork: Judkins

The first Lincolns under Ford control appeared in 1923 with minor improvements. What remained was Henry Leland’s engineering brilliance, in particular, with big Lincoln V-8 and its ‘fork and blade’ connecting rods. This innovative and costly design allowed the cylinders to sit perfectly opposed from one another, bank-to-bank, making the Lincoln engine Detroit’s smoothest operating V-8.

The 1930 Lincoln L Series was powered by a 385 CID L-head V8 engine with three main bearings and a Stromberg carburetor which offered 90 horsepower. The power plant was coupled to a three-speed sliding gear transmission and installed in a 136-inch wheelbase chassis with four-wheel brakes. The car weighed between 4750 and 6000 lbs depending on the coachwork. Top speed was 80 mph. The L Series was production in 1930 was 3,222 vehicle and prices ranged from $4200 to $7400.

The 1930 Lincoln L Series was powered by a 385 CID L-head V8 engine with three main bearings and a Stromberg carburetor which offered 90 horsepower. The power plant was coupled to a three-speed sliding gear transmission and installed in a 136-inch wheelbase chassis with four-wheel brakes. The car weighed between 4750 and 6000 lbs depending on the coachwork. Top speed was 80 mph. The L Series was production in 1930 was 3,222 vehicle and prices ranged from $4200 to $7400.

1930 was the final year for the Lincoln L series and would be replaced the following year with a newly designed model. The 1930 was the most refined of the entire L series, particularly with its new worm and roller-type steering.

1930 was the final year for the Lincoln L series and would be replaced the following year with a newly designed model. The 1930 was the most refined of the entire L series, particularly with its new worm and roller-type steering.

Judkins used a unique windshield on many of their bodies, known as the ‘Brewster windshield.’ There is no rumble seat; this is strictly a two-passenger car. This example has dual rear-mounted spare tires and the golf club compartment door on the passenger side. Price new in 1930 was $5,000. The leather covered roof was standard trim and additional features included the golf club bag door and dual rear mounted spare tires. It was originally sold in California and found in the 1950’s by Lincoln collector Jack Passey.

The Judkins two-passenger coupe was a popular design and was featured at the annual automobile salons from 1926-1933. This Judkins Type 170 two-passenger coupe design was introduced in late 1928 and built through 1930. Only 40 examples were produced in 1930.

The Judkins two-passenger coupe was a popular design and was featured at the annual automobile salons from 1926-1933. This Judkins Type 170 two-passenger coupe design was introduced in late 1928 and built through 1930. Only 40 examples were produced in 1930.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: